“Music plays an important role in the teaching and learning of our Catholic faith. It is a powerful and creative tool that can be incorporated into religious education for children of all ages. When combined with simple movement, it effectively reinforces the learning process by supporting key concepts, increasing retention, and sustaining enthusiasm.
Outlined below are some guidelines to assist you in incorporating song and movement into your religious education activities.
- Check the appropriateness of lyrics for concepts and correctness of Church teachings.
- Look for music that lends itself to actions/movement.
- Ensure the song/hymn is appropriate for the age group you are working with.
- Ask yourself if the movement is appropriate for the setting, classroom, church, etc?
- Keep the movements simple and repetitive.
- Practice the movements and be confident with them before you share them with your class/children. In front of the mirror, or in front of family and friends are great places to do this!
- Use movement/gesture resource guides.